June 18, 2019
Mid-June 2019 Newsletter
Have a discount or service you'd like to offer the CU community. Let me know and as we're more than happy to give you a shout out to the 15K+ alumni who get this newsletter. Shoot me an email here: [email protected].
As always, w continue to seek venues for all the great events we’re organizing this year. So if you have a conference room, restaurant, theater, boat or chalet you’d like to offer up to the club for an event please fill out this form.
Upcoming Club Events
Columbia University Alumni Film Night 2019
Date: Thursday, June 20
Time: 6:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Location: Delancey Theater, 600 The Embarcadero, San Francisco, CA
"Columbia University Alumni Film Night is back on June 20, 2019! This year our host Columbia University Film Professor Jack Lechner (https://arts.columbia.edu/profiles/jack-lechner) will be joining us again at the Delancey Theatre to present the following award-winning films by Columbia students:
- Last Call (16m) Writer/Director: Sandra Mitrovic: After spending her entire adult life working at Belgrade's Information Center, Milena has a personal reckoning on her last day of work.
- I Remember It Rained (12m) Writer/Director: Connor Simpson: An experiential descent into chaos following a wayward teenager's search for catharsis at a rural house party.
- Greenhouse (25m) Writer/Director: Xixi Wang: Eager to inherit the house his grandfather left behind, Xiaojun has to face relatives he hasn't seen since his father's death, many years earlier.
- Mizaru (17m) Writer/Director: Sudarshan Suresh: In a suburb of Mumbai, India, a young couple tries to get some private time in a public park, when they're paid a visit by the moral police.
- The Man on the Mortuary Table (15m) Writer/Director: Omar Kakar: A lonely embalmer discovers a renewed sense of life when he finds his dead doppelganger on his mortuary table.
- Darling (16m) Writer/Director: Saim Sadiq: As a new show is introduced at an erotic dance theatre in Lahore, a sacrificial goat goes missing, a dreamy trans girl desperately tries to become a star, and a naive young boy falls in love.
Professor Lechner will be sharing behind-the-scenes stories about each film and his "reviews." Q&A to follow.
East Bay Columbia Alumni Happy Hour
Date: Wednesday, June 26
Time: 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Location: Era Art Bar & Lounge, 19 Grand Avenue, Oakland, CA 94610
The Columbia Alumni Club of Northern California invites Columbia alumni and guests to our summer East Bay happy hour! Join us in Oakland for an evening of reconnecting with familiar faces and getting to meet new ones. Here is your chance to come, wind down, grab a drink, and get to know your fellow alum of all schools and class years.
Pride After Dark: SF Exploratorium
Date: Thursday, June 27
Time: 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Location: Exploratorium, The Embarcadero, San Francisco, CA 94111
Join fellow Columbia Alumni and their guests (max 1 guest per person) as we celebrate Pride month at the SF Exploratorium! Enjoy reduced ticket prices to this after-hours special event that will include science, art, and social justice.
SF Opera Rusalka with Columbia Alumni
Date: Friday, June 28
Time: 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Location: War Memorial Opera House, 301 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102
Cost: Discounted tickets, 30% off
2019 Columbia University Summer Intern Picnic
Date: Saturday, July 29
Time: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Location: Marx Meadow, Table 7, San Francisco, CA
We welcome 2019 interns to the Bay Area! All Columbia alumni, current students, friends and family are welcome to our annual summer picnic for interns. 50 % of proceeds from this event will go to SF Parks & Rec.
Refreshments will be served, but feel free to bring something to share!
Partner & Community Events
Ivy League + MIT Networking Mixer with Livongo
Bate: Thursday, June 27
Time: 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Location: Livongo Health, 150 South Park, San Francisco, CA 94107
Livongo, a pioneer in Applied Health Signals, empowers people with chronic conditions to live better and healthier lives. Attendees of the event will learn how this approach to sharing health insights and reminders is leading to better clinical and financial outcomes while creating a better experience for people with chronic conditions that include diabetes, prediabetes, hypertension, weight management, and behavioral health.